Department of International Relations of the University of Colombo is the only department which offers a special degree programme for undergraduates as well as Masters Degree programme in International Relations in the Sri Lankan University system.
To become the center of excellence in providing quality international relations scholars and practitioners to the nation and to the world.
Rooted in the mission of the University of Colombo and taking into account that this is the original and foremost Department of International relations; the Mission of the Department of International Relations is to become the center of qualitative and quantitative development of knowledge in this academic area.
- MGA Cooray award for the best dissertation at BA Special Degree in International Relations
- Amara Mohotty Memorial Award for the Best Performance at the International Relations Special Degree.The recipient of this award should have secured at least a Second Class Honours (Upper Division) at the International Relations Special Degree Examination in Arts and has been placed first in order of merit. The award shall be presented at the General Convocation annually.
- Professor Shelton Kodikara Award for International Relations. The award shall be presented to the student who secures the highest GPA with a First/Second Class (Upper Division) pass in the International Relations Special Degree. The award shall be presented at the General Convocation annually.
- Association of Former International Civil Servants (AFICS) – Sri Lanka Scholarship. The award shall be presented to a fourth (4th) year student in International Relations based on his/her academic performance (the highest GPA) in the 2nd & 3rd years of study.
- Professor Nayani Melagoda - Research Affiliate, Peace Science Research Center, Hiroshima University, Japan since 2010. Visiting Scholar, IDEC, University of Hiroshima, Japan, August to September 2009.