The Quality Assurance Cell (QAC) of the Faculty was established formally in 2017 as per the requirements stipulated by the Quality Assurance and Accreditation Centre (QAAC) of the UGC. Accordingly, the QAC functions under the purview of the Internal Quality Assurance Unit (IQAU) of the University of Colombo. IQAU was renamed in early 2020 as the Centre for Quality Assurance (CQA) to better reflect its university-wide remit.
The main responsibility of the QAC is to promote quality enhancement activities within the Faculty by liaising with the Curriculum Development Committee and other Faculty committees and departments. The QAC functions under the guidance of the CQA to ensure the successful implementation of policies and activities proposed by the QAAC in order to improve quality of the programmes offered by the Faculty of Arts.
The QAC is not a direct contact point for students. However, as the Cell is responsible for maintaining the quality of the academic programmes according to the Sri Lanka Qualifications Framework (SLQF) introduced by the UGC, students may approach the QAC through the Dean of the Faculty with concerns regarding academic programmes offered by the Faculty.
The first Director of the QAC was Associate Professor Iresha Lakshman and currently it is headed by Dr. Darshi Thoradeniya. The QAC recruited a research assistant in August 2020 to facilitate its activities in view of the upcoming Institutional Review in 2022.
Members of the Quality Assurance Cell of the Faculty of Arts
- The Dean of the FoA
- Director QAC of the FoA
- Director of Undergraduate Studies of the FoA
- Director of Postgraduate Studies of the FoA
- Deputy Registrar of the FoA
- Heads of Departments of the FoA
English Language Teaching
- Coordinators of Units of the FoA
Arabic and Islamic Civilization Unit
Computer Teaching Unit
- Manual for Institutional Review of Sri Lankan Universities and Higher Education Institutions
- Manual for Review of Undergraduate Study Programmes of Sri Lankan Universities and Higher Education Institutions
- Circular 04/2015: Strengthening of internal quality assurance systems in universities and Higher Educational Institutions through the establishment of internal quality assurance units
- Circular 09/2019 : Further Strengthening of Internal Quality Assurance Systems in Universities and Higher Educational Institutions
- New formats on Application for Approval of undergraduate / Postgraduate/ Diploma programmes
- A performance scorecard for the internal quality assurance units of universities