Events in line with the Centenary Celebrations :
Faculty of Arts
IConArts is the research symposium of the Faculty of Arts, University of Colombo which is organized annually in parallel to the university symposium. This key event of the faculty, highlights the multi-disciplinary research conducted by the scholars within the faculty, nationally and internationally. The faculty expects to organize this year’s symposium in the month of December.
Undergraduate Research Symposium - Humanities and Social Sciences 2021 (August)
The Faculty of Arts, University of Colombo inaugurated its undergraduate symposium in 2019 with the intention of strengthening academic and research capacities of undergraduates. The main objective of this symposium is to provide a platform to share undergraduate research and thereby widen the research culture within the Faculty. Further to the research skills acquired in the classroom and the field, this symposium creates a platform for students to present their findings to an academic audience. This does not only make our students appreciate the expectations of academic research, but also equips them with many soft skills that would improve their employability skills.
Dean’s Awards Literary Competitions (2020 – 2021)
This literary festival is organized by the Faculty of Arts and the awards ceremony will be held in September 2021. All the undergraduates of the Faculty of Arts as well as the second-year and third-year undergraduates of the Faculty of Education who are enrolled in courses offered by the Faculty of Arts can participate in the competitions. Applications have already been invited for 14 competitions under the categories of Literature and Creative Arts. Arrangements have been made to hold all the relevant competitions in all three mediums as Sinhala, Tamil and English.
Events in line with the Centenary Celebrations: Departments, Units and the Confucius Institute
Department of Demography
- World Population Day Celebration
- Multi-disciplinary Research Seminar Series
- Annual Research Symposium (DemARS 2021)
- Celebrations for International Day for Older Persons
Department of Economics
- South Asian Economics Students’ Meet (SAESM)
- International Tourism Research Conference & Tourism Leaders’ Summit (ITRC & TLS)
- Publication of Special Research Volume
Department of English
- Lecture by Shalini Abayasekara
- Lecture by Esther Surenthiraraj
- Lecture by Ruhanie Perera (Dept of English academic staff). April 2021
- AHEAD/Development Oriented Research (DOR) project of the Dept. of English
Department of English Language and Teaching
- Launch of the Fundamentals in Academic English Courses
- Launch of the French Course for Beginners (ENH)
- Launch of the Honours Degree in TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language)
Department of Geography
- International Conference of Young Geographers
- Monthly Seminar Series
- GIS Day
- Launch of the E-Journal
- This initiative will enhance research interests and encourage the …..
Department of History
- Introducing Master of History Degree Programme
- Mobile Museum
- Lecture-cum-publication project (Also to commemorate Prof. G.C Mendis and Prof. Lakshman Perera)
- The department will launch a lecture series in ….
Department of Political Science and Public Policy
- Launch of the Department Journal
- Seminar series on ‘Contemporary Theories and Debates in Political Science’
- This seminar series will be conducted by ….
Computer Teaching Unit
- Establishment of Department of IT
- Opening of the new IT Labs
- Introduction of two short courses
- Certificate Course in Online Computer Applications and Certificate Course in Web Designing ….
- Conducting a Workshop Series
- Research Conference
- Offer an Honours Degree Programme in Communication and Media Studies
- Establishment of Department of Communication & Creative Arts
- Chinese traditional festivals
- “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competition for Foreign College Students
- International Chinese Language Education Conference
- Confucius Day